Low Self Esteem in Teenagers: Signs, Causes and Effects of Low Self Esteem
Low self-esteem in teenagers is a serious issue. Teenagers suffering from low self-esteem spend their life with chronic doubts. Parents and friends can help these teenagers build their self-confidence levels. This article discusses the signs, causes and self help for low self-esteem among teenagers.
Low Self-Esteem Signs:
- Chronic worry about pleasing other people.
- Negative feelings about their lives.
- Lack of performance towards school assignments.
Causes of Low Self Esteem:
Teenagers go through different challenges. They may not know how to face the challenges and become confused. Some of the factors that cause low self-esteem include:
- Rejection by members of the opposite sex
- Sibling rivalry
- Hormonal mood swings
- Poor academic performance
How Low Self-Esteem Hurts Teenagers:
- A teenager’s career, relationship with others and overall happiness depends on level of self- confidence.
- Self-esteem helps teenagers to have faith in themselves.
- Jealousy and distrust can present themselves in teenagers who suffer from negative feelings. These factors lead to painful arguments.
- Teenagers who have self-esteem problems face different issues. Common issues involve social awkwardness, poor grades, loss of friends, and adjustment problems.
How to Deal with it:
- Parents should make their teens feel better by complimenting the positive aspects in them.
- Teenagers should learn about having positive images.
- Counseling sessions can help teenagers to get an opportunity to talk.
- Parents should talk to their teens. They should make teenagers feel special.
- Help your teens to participate in worthwhile activities, such as volunteering.